Saturday, February 11, 2012

As unique as a Snowflake ...

I find it amazing that people asume all people with autism or aspergers must be alike to be classed as autistic.

Yet  like snowflakes we look alike but are all unique.

Yes there are a set of symptoms / characteristics associated with autism/aspergers, but they doesnt mean we all need to have the same characteristics or have the same level of characteristic.

Some of us are completely unable to look people in the eye's while others can for short periods and some of us can look people in the eyes for so long that it it too long.

We may have autism but we are not stupid, we learn from those around us and from our own experiences, so if we are told that people prefer it when you give them eye contact then some of us adapt to be able to do it.

It of course does not mean that we are comfortable doing it but it means we want to fit in and be accepted as "normal" and not thought of as weird or eccentric.

So we are unique in so many ways, even while being similar.

I am still surprised when I read someone saying something that hits home with me, because for so long I thought I there was something wrong with me, that I was broken, crazy, eccentric, weird and just different, but now I see so many other people out there who think, feel and respond the same way as I do, and I no longer feel different, I feel part of something.... something that proves I am not crazy, broken or anything else... I finally fit in somewhere.

But while I see myself in so many others, I am still unique in so many ways, just like how a snowflake looks like all the other snowflakes yet is totally unique in its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment