Thursday, September 6, 2012

Piano


I have always liked the piano, as a child after school I would help my mother clean the primary school that I went to, and there was a room that had a piano in it. I would always end up in there messing around with the piano, creating music without even knowing what I was doing.

I think someone at the school, either a teacher or more likely one of the other students taught me to play this kind of scale piece which I dont know the name of but its basically just the black keys and goes like this ...

 FGA  CC  FGA  CC  FGA  CDFDC  AGF  DD  AGF  DD  AGF DD  AGF DDCAD

Then when I got to high school I had one term of music, I wanted to learn the sax but my parents said no, plus having asthma means I probably wouldnt be good at the sax anyway, not enough lung power.

So I did piano and by the end of the term I had learnt to play Amazing Grace. But I never had music again after that term and left school halfway through the next year ... Yes I only did one and half years of High school ....

Anyway now I have a piano / electric keyboard... not a full piano but good enough to learn stuff on.

I dont have a music teacher, I'm just teaching myself... I'm not that good at knowing what not is what, but if it has a not is written with a letter  - CDEFGAB - then its easy for me.

So within the first hour I had of having the piano I had taught myself the first 2 lines of Jinglebells... after messing around with the piano it was probably just 5 or 10 minutes of playing for me to work out jinglebells, I decided to practice for at least a month each song to be sure that I had it in my head and fingers but after a few days of just playing jinglebells it became annoying and maybe even a little bit boring... so I started to teach myself the first line of Jambalaya (On the Bayou) and withing a few minutes I had that in my head.

Then I decided to try The Lion Sleeps Tonight ... so again just within 5 minutes and I had the first 2 lines of that song also learnt.

I do not know if this is fast or not, but I do enjoy it and I think I may have an aptitude for piano, as a child I did have a slight aptitude for drawing but I never persuded that and now that ability is just a tiny smudge now, no longer what it was or what it could have been.

Now I just have to learn how to play with both my right and left hand at the same time.

I may end up seeing if I can find someone to teach me to play... I'm teaching David what I learn, so then we can both play together.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment