Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A question of Prejudice

Are people with Aspergers / Autism incapable of prejudice?


People with Asperger Syndrome often tend to be naive, to assume their own ethical level in others, which makes them sitting ducks.

Ancient tribal instincts like prejudice and xenophobia toward those outside their own tribe are impaired in some people with Aspergers, possibly because they are located in the same regions of the brain where the also impaired aspects of nonverbal communication are housed.

Lacking the social heuristics of prejudice and xenophobia, they may not recognize "evildoers" in time and end up in wrong company and being taken advantage of.

I know that for me I see people as people and do not care about things like race, skin colour, age, sex or anything like that and because my nature is to believe that people are as honest as I am I have gotten into situations where I have ended up with bad people who have hurt me or taken advantage of me.

I tend to be too open and honest with people and I expect people to be open and honest with me in return and this can get me into trouble, especially when I do not realise where boundries are that should not be crossed because it too personal or something. I am learning how to not be so open with people, which is hard because I tend to be either too open or too secretive because I try not to share any information about myself.

Of course if someone tells me a secret I will keep that secret forever... the only exception would be if by keeping the secret I was putting someone in danger, but I've never come across that type of secret.

Having Aspergers as an adult, to me is similar to having a split personality and I do not mean to offend anyone who has multiple personalities, but it is similar in a few ways because you are an adult and you can understand many things but also not understand them either. You can be too trusting but also know that people are willing to take advantage of that.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=439940152688604&id=393375494011737

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my facebook page you linked to :) ...

      Thank you so much for that. :)

      Delete