Sunday, November 11, 2012

I Wonder ....

Sometimes I wonder what its like for family members when they are told someone they have known for ages is actually autistic.

Does it confuse them because they considered that person "normal" or maybe just a little weird or a little eccentric, or a little different...

I wonder this because I have told one of my sisters that I have been diagnosed with Aspergers Autism, I emailed her, but heard nothing back from her, so then I sat down and wrote her a letter telling her... its been at least 2 months since then and again I have not heard from her....

This confuses me because I do not know what she is thinking and I believe it would only be the polite or correct thing to at least acknowledge that she had received the letter... even if the subject is something that she does not wish to discuss.

Does she not believe me ?

Does she no longer want anything to do with me ?

Does she not know what to say ?

Is she confused as to how to interact with me now ?

Is she mad at me ?


........ ? ? ? ....... I am confused .....



I know that it could be hard to accept that someone you have known all your life... in her case 38 years ... is now saying they are autistic...

Of course really how well does any of my family know me ?

My mother knew me for nearly 21 years ....

But my sisters lived with me for only at the most 14 - 15 years and at the least 9 to 11 years..... and some of that was during the early years when you don't remember much or really care about how someone acts or when you are going through your own stuff.

So really other than my Mother the only other person who has lived with me the longest and knows me better than anyone is David .... my husband of nearly 17 years ....

But family is meant to have a connection ... so why did no one ever consider that I may have has issues ? Is it because they didnt live with me long enough ? or because they were teenages when I was growing up and when they started their own lives? ... Is it because we dont contact each other very much ? Is it because they thought of me as just a little strange... ?

I do wonder what it would be like to have a close knit family and have those close connections to family and friends...



No comments:

Post a Comment